Try this hummus!

>> Sunday, September 7, 2008

I am not a chickpea fan. I don't like their taste or their texture, but something magical happens when they're transformed into hummus. The blend of a few simple ingredients results in a dip that is so tasty and really quite healthy. While I like hummus from a restaurant or bought pre-made at the grocery store (usually, I've had some pretty bad hummus, too), I absolutely love the recipe below for hummus. The flavor of this hummus beats all other hummus that I've tried hands down.

Before we move on to the recipe, let's talk about the humble chickpea. Like other beans, chickpeas are high in fiber - both soluble and in
soluble fiber. High fiber foods are great for many reasons - they help to regulate blood sugar levels, they can help lower cholesterol levels (soluble fiber), and they can help prevent constipation and irritable bowel syndrome (insoluble fiber). In addition to the fiber, chickpeas are loaded with molybdenum (especially important for people with sulfite sensitivity), manganese and folate (both important for heart health). They are also a good source of protein, copper, phosphorous, and iron. Heck, they even have a dose of calcium in them! Chickpeas are low in fat, and what little fat they do have is mostly polyunsaturated fat (one of the good kinds).

So, go try this incredibly simple hummus. It's a goo
d one for kids - my 2 yr old loves this hummus (my 5 yr old won't touch it, but he's got dip issues). You'll never buy hummus again!



Hummus

1 can (14-16 oz) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup tahini
1 small clove garlic (I add more because I like it really garlicky)
juice of 1 lemon
1 TBSP olive oil

Place all ingredients in blender or food processor and blend until smooth.

20 comments:

Anonymous September 8, 2008 at 7:18 AM  

Ok...this one has been printed out! Yum! Thanks! :)

Dani September 8, 2008 at 9:07 AM  

I made it. Yum.

cathy September 8, 2008 at 10:24 AM  

Dang, Dani! That was fast. Glad you liked it!

Lori September 8, 2008 at 10:53 AM  

I just returned from travel and have had hummus on my mind! I was planning to make it this week.

I had never made it from scratch until I moved to Brazil, now I have to even soak and boil my own chickpeas. :) I found a tahini here that has pimenta so it is a little spicy. I like to add a little crushed red pepper or hot sauce to kick it up a bit too.

Rachel September 8, 2008 at 11:12 AM  

Mmm, that looks just excellent. I loooove hummus. (But then, I like chickpeas too.)

Munchkins and Music September 8, 2008 at 1:24 PM  

I don't think I have ever tired this before. I'll have to try it!

Anonymous September 8, 2008 at 1:35 PM  

dani? any left for me?

I LOVE HUMMUS & need to storebuypremadeless.

so thanks.

Miz.

Anonymous September 8, 2008 at 2:06 PM  

Cathy, I adore you!

I've always loved hummus but you finally clued me in to why...over the past few years I've developed a sulfite sensitivity and didn't realize molybdenum might help. Thanks for the info and the recipe!

Dani September 9, 2008 at 8:12 AM  

Well, I meant I had just made it the day before, and we must have used the same recipe (allrecipes?). I had bought the tahini a month or two ago, and was ready to make it. We were on the same hummus wavelength.

I like my spicy though, so I added some cayenne pepper. I am thinking about adding roasted red peppers too. WDYT?

cathy September 9, 2008 at 8:24 AM  

Anya - I didn't know about the molybdenum and sulfite connection either.

Lori - I've thought about starting from dried beans, but I'm just too lazy - LOL!

Munchkins - give it a try! It really is very good.

mizfit - Store bought it good, but this is better! And very easy and quick to make.

And Dani - I can't remember where I originally got this recipe. I think that it was from a book on foods for picky toddlers that I picked up at the library. Wish I could give them credit, but I have no idea on the name of the book. It's such a simple recipe though that I'm not surprised it's out there elsewhere!

And roasted pepper hummus sounds really good. Make it and tell me what you think of it. I'm going to skip the cayenne, personally. I like it not spicy, and I know that I would never, ever get Emma to eat it if it was spicy.

fatfighter September 9, 2008 at 9:02 AM  

This looks very much like my dad's recipe - and since he's Egyptian and has an authentic recipe, I'm impressed by yours. :)
BTW, I will be posting my revised version of his hummus soon.

cathy September 9, 2008 at 9:57 AM  

Can't wait to see your version, fatfighter!

Laural Out Loud September 12, 2008 at 8:15 AM  

I always have hummus in the fridge. We LOVE it! I've never made it before, but with food prices rising, I'm going to give this a try.

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? September 14, 2008 at 2:59 PM  

Sounds delicious. I pretty much make it the same way...without the garlic or the measuring, though.

It's so much better than store bought.

tesslouise September 23, 2008 at 1:06 PM  

Hummus is good, but...

Fiber, of any sort, will not prevent irritable bowel syndrome. You can grow up with health-food-hippie parents and eat salad and brown rice every day and develop IBS. And once you have it, insoluble fiber can be a trigger. (Soluble fiber, OTOH, is the main treatment--it calms everything down.)

Anonymous November 13, 2008 at 3:26 PM  

mmmm this sounds almost like the one I make and I make mine garlic-y too!!!
drat now I wish I had some NOW!

Anonymous November 14, 2009 at 3:25 PM  

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

site July 20, 2012 at 3:57 AM  

I read so much helpful data above!

Anonymous March 31, 2013 at 4:58 PM  

Thanks for the tips. This would help all the beginners out there. Well done!

Billing problems? Check this out:
physician medical billing services
Preferred services by most physicians

Eddzie April 16, 2014 at 11:03 AM  

I am glad I read this. Thank you for sharing.
Check this out too:
seeds

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP