Great Indian simmer sauces

>> Monday, September 15, 2008

If you're like me, you have those days when you don't really feel like cooking dinner, don't have any leftovers to munch on, and don't have the budget to eat out. About a year ago, we found these absolutely fantastic Indian simmer sauces made by Maya Kaimal. They're fresh and authentic tasting and a snap to prepare.



Take a look at the ingredient label from our favorite, Coconut Curry: coconut milk, water, onion, potato, tomato puree, spices, ginger, vegetable oil, salt, fresh curry leaves, black mustard seeds, sugar, turmeric. So simple! I wish that I had a picture of the sauce all prepared, but trust me when I tell you that you can see the spices in there and will have to pluck out a bay leaf or two.

I go the simple route when using these sauces and just add chicken, but you could eat them as is or add an endless permutation of vegetables and/or meat. I have to admit that we pretty much stick with the Coconut Curry as it is mild, and the kids love it, but they have other great sauce options to choose from.


Look for these simmer sauces in the refrigerated section of your grocery store - especially specialty or health food grocery stores. The sauces keep for a month or two in the refrigerator, and we find it's great to have on hand for a night when we want a simple but delicious meal. Or you could go the other route and use it as the base for a delicious and more expansive Indian meal!

5 comments:

Levi September 15, 2008 at 9:10 AM  

These *are* very good sauces. I have used/tasted several of them. I buy them from New Leaf - a local store. Yum! I am a big fan of Indian food and wish making it at home was as easy as just buying one of these sauces makes it seem.

Anonymous September 15, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

I will have a look...thanks! :)

Rachel September 15, 2008 at 2:56 PM  

Never tried them. I'll have to look.

Lori September 15, 2008 at 4:17 PM  

Yum! I just made vegetable curry last night. These look a lot easier, and I will admit, probably taste better too. ;)

femmesavante September 16, 2008 at 9:39 AM  

These look great for a quick meal! I will definitely have to check them out.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP