>> Saturday, June 28, 2008
We have a minor dilemma now that we've given up HFCS foods. Our daughter Emma needs to take a multivitamin with iron in it because she is slightly anemic. We tried the liquid kind, but it turned her teeth an oh so lovely shade of gray. We were given the ok to give our not quite 2 yr old half of a chewable Flintstones vitamin instead. That was great for about a week, and then the novelty of chewing up a vitamin just like her big brother wore off. We're at the point now where she will take her vitamin if I crush it up and hide it in some chocolate syrup. It's the only way that I can get her to take it without a fight. She's extremely finicky, but she's taken it mixed in chocolate syrup every time without a fuss. You can still taste the vitamin, but the flavor is muted by the extreme sugary-chocolate flavor.
What's the dilemma? Well, Hershey's chocolate syrup is LOADED with HFCS! So, do I search (in vain, so far) for a HFCS-free chocolate syrup or try to find a recipe for chocolate syrup to substitute for Hershey's syrup? Or do I not rock the boat and stick with the magical (but HFCS containing) Hershey's syrup?