A week of transition

>> Tuesday, June 24, 2008

We're using this week to transition to HFCS-free foods. We plan to use up some of the perishable and open HFCS containing foods that we already have and start the search for suitable replacements. I'm quite certain that we'll be able to find replacements for pretty much everything, the question is at what cost? I hope that we'll be able to come across reasonably priced items that taste just as good as the HFCS containing ones.

First step - clean out the pantry and fridge. It wasn't as bad as I had feared, but we still had a lot of stuff with HFCS in it. You can see the fruit of our clean-out labor below:
I think that we'll be ok with most of our loses, but there were a couple of things that hit us hard. Like Heinz ketchup. My husband, in particular, has a love affair with Heinz ketchup. The man puts it on everything, and he's always been very insistent on Heinz having the best flavor. But, as a ketchup fiend, I think that he's also kind of looking forward to taste testing different ketchups to find a good - and affordable - one.

There were also foods that I just KNEW had HFCS in it that didn't - like Jet-Puffed marshmallows. Hooray! I know, I know. They're just a big ole puff of unhealthy sugar, but it made this sugar junkie's heart happy to know that I could still make things with marshmallows.

Next step, start the search for tasty replacements. I also hope to start trying recipes to replace some of our processed snacks with homemade ones, but that might have to wait a week or 2. Check back for product reviews and recipes!

4 comments:

Rachel June 26, 2008 at 9:52 PM  

Oh no! Not Stephen's Cocoa! Say it ain't so! (But I guess I should have figured.)

Jhaierr December 16, 2008 at 10:36 PM  

Did you try Heinz organic ketchup? :) It's all natural and tastes even better than the normal Heinz.

xl pharmacy November 22, 2011 at 7:23 AM  

One of the reasons why I like visiting your blog so much is because it has become a daily reference I can use in order to learn new nice stuff. It's like a curiosities box that surprises you over and over again.

Linda yuonne nicole October 26, 2016 at 10:06 PM  

obat eksim | obat eksim | obat kanker | obat kutil kelamin | obat kutil kemaluan

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP