Oh, those pesky ads

>> Friday, September 12, 2008

Have you seen the ads? If you haven't, well, take a moment and watch them.






What did you think? If you're like me, you found them funny at first, and then a little creepy and very contrived.

I was going to write a big long post ranting about these commercials, but I've decided instead to link to a few other blogs that have already ranted against these commercials. I will say this: corn is so processed during HFCS that calling it natural is like calling a plastic bottle natural because its molecules originated in the ground. So, yeah, HFCS is from corn. For that matter, gift cards, coffee cups, and blankets are also made from corn but I'm not about to chow down on a coffee cup.

Anyway, take a look at these different blogs and what they have to say about these ads.

LiveWell 360 made me laugh with her take on the ads: High Fructose Corn Syrup for President

The Consumerist called it badvertising and had this great title for their blog post: It Looks Like High Fructose Corn Syrup Manufacturers Are Getting a Little Nervous

Serious Eats has an interesting discussion on the ads: Pro-HFCS Ads: Do They Bother You?

Then there's this great post from BlogHer that takes on the commercials point by point: High Fructose Corn Syrup Ads and Evaluating Information

There are many, many others, but those posts really resonated with me. The scary thing about these ads is that they'll probably work. There are so many people out there that just need that little bit of reassurance to forget about HFCS and eating healthier. It's only corn, right?

11 comments:

fatfighter September 12, 2008 at 8:31 AM  

Are you sure you don't want to indulge in some tasty gift cards, coffee cups, and blankets??? Great point! I have seen so many posts about these ads, as well and really need to link to them. It's a great discussion, and unfortunately I agree that these ads probably will work... but hopefully many will also see through them.

Lori September 12, 2008 at 8:39 AM  

I'd heard about them, but hadn't seen them yet. Wow! So who's going to be the first organization to create a contradicting commerical?

Sweet Pea Chef September 12, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

Ugh, I can't stand them. I can't stand how they make "Anti-HFCS" folks like us seem like idiots.

Anonymous September 12, 2008 at 2:29 PM  

Popcorn is the best corn I've ever met!

femmesavante September 13, 2008 at 12:57 PM  

I can't believe those! I haven't seen them aired yet, but they are definitely unnerving. Thanks for the links!

My Year Without September 13, 2008 at 2:35 PM  

My own rule of thumb when it comes to food products is that if it is questionable AT ALL, why eat it? I don't want to find out later that it's dangerous/addictive/carcinogenic, etc. Food colorings (used in that bright red punch and popsicle) have been questionable for years and the FDA has pulled a few off the safe additives list. There are many more to go, but if there is ANY doubt as to a food's safety, I don't take my chances. It forces me to eat healthier, like whole fruits and fresh vegetables. Which, by the way, is NOT what people generally go for when they are craving comfort food. However, recently after buying local fruit from a farmer's market I found that the intense flavors of the fruit were extremely comforting. Especially the apples-they reminded me of the fragrance of childhood.

Rachel September 14, 2008 at 6:14 PM  

Sheesh.

I would say the group commenting here and our illustrious blog writer are anything but stupid. But that sure is how the anti group is portrayed.

Ick.

I guess they figure that those who are anti and know the facts aren't going to change their minds, so there is no reason to try and win them over, so just go for the people who are uneducated as to both sides.

carla September 15, 2008 at 3:17 AM  

hope your rant is coming this week?

(Hinthint. Nudgenudge)

;)

MizFit

Anonymous September 15, 2008 at 5:50 AM  

HFCS...yuck! :)

cathy September 15, 2008 at 6:59 AM  

Rachel - I think that you're right. They're going for the throngs of Americans who just need that extra bit of comfort that it's ok to eat all of the junk that you want.

And MizFit - not sure my rant will happen, but thanks for the nudge! We're getting ready for a much needed vacay, and I'm not sure that I have it in me to rant against the machine. My husband wants me to rant too, though, so it may happen yet!

www.encontactos.com April 9, 2012 at 4:02 AM  

This can't truly have success, I feel this way.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP