Guest post - Keep it simple! from Super Healthy Kids

>> Monday, September 22, 2008

Dear readers, while I am on vacation enjoying the company of normally far away friends and family, some of my favorite bloggers have graciously provided guest posts for your reading pleasure. The first guest post comes from Amy, author of the blog Super Healthy Kids. As a mother who struggles with two picky kids, I've gotten so many good - and healthy - ideas for meals and snacks from her blog. Not to mention good tips and some laughs. So, enjoy this guest post and check out her blog!

Tip of the day: Keep it simple

I couldn't believe my ears!! I had to ask "whaaaat?", several times. The stars must've been aligned exactly right, I must have said my prayers, maybe it's good karma for writing a blog about healthy eating, but my cereal boy (9 years old) ate his salad, and ASKED FOR MORE! I have been trying to get him to like salad for at least 8 years! It has finally paid off. He had three helpings! He even said, "This is good. I like it almost as much as rice." I'll share some things that may have helped getting him to open up to salad.

Forever they have been dipping carrots and broccoli in ranch. They like it and it's not new. I only had ham for dinner because our potatoes didn't cook quite as quickly as I thought they would, so there was not a lot of competition for his appetite. I shredded some cabbage, red leaf lettuce and carrots quite small. Poured just enough ranch to make it palatable, and didn't say a word as I handed them a plate with a small piece of ham and the salad.

My 5 year old on the other hand is still sitting at the counter reminding me he doesn't like salad. Hopefully it doesn't take 4 more years for him to accept it like it did for cereal boy.

My neighbor's boy was over the other day talking about how he loved Spinach salad! How did his mom do that? I don't know why it has been twice as hard for me. I have struggled with my picky eaters since they started on solids. Luckily they took well to breast milk. My blog is about my journey in getting them to eat better. Super Healthy Kids

3 comments:

Anonymous September 22, 2008 at 8:04 AM  

Ahh...the challenges of getting the kids on board with healthy eating. Nice post!

Anonymous September 22, 2008 at 9:56 AM  

Thanks for the information and motivation for parents. They need all the help they can get.

cathy October 5, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

Ah, salad. My youngest loves it (at least sometimes), but my oldest only tolerates it. I sprinkled a little parmesan cheese on his tonight and he thought it was amazing. I'm wondering how long parmesan will be magical - and hoping it's a long time!

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP