Surprising HFCS food of the week

>> Wednesday, July 16, 2008

This week's food is applesauce. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised that it has HFCS in it, but I was. I guess I wouldn't have been surprised if it had been one of the funkier twists on applesauce - like cherry flavored applesauce, or Scooby Doo! (from Mott's) applesauce - but it was just regular applesauce. Both Mott's and Mussleman's regular (or original, depending on the brand) applesauce contain HFCS. Go figure. HFCS is the second ingredient listed - bleh! The unsweetened applesauce does not have HFCS, and there are probably other brands that sweeten using cane sugar, but if you're looking for a HFCS-free applesauce, beware and read those ingredient labels!

The Natural Mott's at the center of this picture is the only applesauce without HFCS!

5 comments:

Anonymous July 18, 2008 at 12:57 PM  

I have noticed this!! Craziness!

Rachel July 19, 2008 at 12:04 PM  

We get the unsweetened stuff, so I never noticed. Crazy!

Our apple trees are finally starting to produce and this is making me think I need to just make my OWN applesauce and bottle it.

Hil July 19, 2008 at 6:57 PM  

Great blog!

There's another surprising food item I noticed when I was rummaging through the cupboards - Progresso Garlic and Herb bread crumbs!

cathy July 21, 2008 at 6:40 AM  

Hil, you beat me to the bread crumbs! ;-) I had to throw out a container of bread crumbs when we did our pantry clean-out. HFCS is just everywhere!

Lynn August 6, 2008 at 7:52 PM  

I am glad to know that the apple sauce which I buy 90% of the time is HFCS free. It would be nice to know a cranberry juice which is HFCS free. Any suggestions?

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP