Chewy granola bars

>> Monday, July 7, 2008

As promised, I'm posting the recipe for Chewy Granola Bars. This is a really tasty recipe. The bars are thin and more delicate than a store-bought bar, but soft and chewy and they pass the Ben test. I get about 16 small bars out of a batch. I haven't experimented much with the recipe yet, but it's a recipe that can be customized to whatever mood you're in. I'm making a batch tonight with 3 extra tablespoons of flaxmeal in it, and just tasting the raw mix, I can't even tell that it's in there. Score! Future additions will include dried fruit (though must be careful with that because Ben might refuse to eat bars with dried fruit chunks) and also substituting real dark chocolate chips (or chunks if I can't find good dark chocolate chips) for the semisweet chips.

So, here you go! Hope you enjoy as much as we do!



Chewy Granola Bars

3 cups rolled oats (I used quick oats for a finer texture, but coarser oats would be better for you)
2/3 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup and 3 TBSP butter, softened
1/3 cup honey
3 TBSP and 1 and 3/4 tsp packed brown sugar
1/2 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips (or more if you'd like)
3 TBSP (or more! I think that it could handle more.) flaxseed meal (optional)

Preheat oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a 9"x13" pan.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, butter, honey, and brown sugar (and flaxseed meal if using). Stir in the chocolate chips and any other additions.

Firmly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 F for 20 min or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 min and then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving. On hot summer days, might want to store in the fridge so that they're not as crumbly and the chocolate doesn't melt.

4 comments:

Rachel July 8, 2008 at 5:08 PM  

We will absolutely be trying these.

Melissa July 15, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

These sound yummy. I'll definetly be making them.

organicyogamom October 10, 2008 at 4:33 PM  

These look delicious. I'll be giving them a try on Tuesday! Thanks!

Anonymous February 16, 2009 at 12:42 PM  

Yum, this sounds like a homemade granola recipe but better b/c you can take it with you. I think I will try it with coconut flakes too.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP