Surprising HFCS food of the week

>> Thursday, July 10, 2008

I missed posting a surprising HFCS food last week. Sickness and company kept me busy. But, I'm back!

And this week's surprising HFCS containing food of the week is....Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire Sauce! When you look at a Lea & Perrin's Worcestershire sauce bottle you think tradition and fine ingredients. I mean, it has a seal that says "Same Premium Quality SINCE 1835" on it, and the name of the sauce is even The Original Worcestershire Sauce. Smart marketing! It's implied that they've been using the same recipe since 1835, but it never actually says that. So, imagine my surprise when I saw that the third ingredient - after vinegar and molasses - is good ole HFCS. Since HFCS has only been around since the '70s (and I'm not talking about the 1870s), I think that it is safe to say that the original recipe has been tweaked a bit since 1835.

There are non-HFCS Worcestershire sauces out there. We don't use a ton of the sauce, so I can't vouch for their flavor vs. Lea & Perrin's sauce, but neither Western Family brand nor French's brand contain HFCS.

Special thanks to Consumer Reports. A recent edition pointed out that Lea & Perrin's has HFCS in it on it's funny back cover section.

1 comments:

Rachel July 11, 2008 at 10:49 PM  

I love that Odds and Ends section in Consumer Reports!

Interesting stuff.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP