Meatless Monday - Homemade pizza and nacho rolls

>> Monday, April 26, 2010

A big thanks to Nurse Practitioner Schools for including this blog in its list of 100 Best Blogs for Parenting Advice!   I'm looking forward to checking out some of the other blogs on the list!


I'm retrieving an oldie but a goodie for today's Meatless Monday post.  We had these for dinner tonight, and I sent one with my son for lunch last week.  Such a good little hand held meal!


My son is a picky eater - just like his mother. He gets bored easily with sandwiches - also just like his mother - so I've started a running list of sandwich alternatives to serve at lunch. This recipe for Ranch Chicken Pockets at Megan's Munchies gave me an idea for making homemade pizza rolls. (And, yes, the pizza rolls are really just little calzones, but it's more fun to call them pizza rolls!)

These pizza rolls are great because you can make them ahead of time and throw them in a lunch or even freeze them to eat later. Even better - you can customize them however you want! We've made Megan's Ranch Chicken Pockets (using HFCS-free ranch dressing, of course) - delicious - and nacho pockets as well as the pizza rolls. The flavor combos that would work with this idea are endless.  Maybe hummus with fresh oregano and feta cheese or...well, you get the idea.  Go crazy!

One note - be careful buying pizza sauce! HFCS is a common ingredient in packaged pizza sauce. Once upon a time, we were fans of Boboli's pizza sauce, but alas, it contains HFCS. There are several brands out there that don't have HFCS in it, though. We used Rustic Crust's One Top Tomato! Old World Tomato Sauce. It's a pretty good sauce, and comes in nice three-packs that are convenient.


On to the recipe!

Start with some pizza dough. You can buy some frozen pizza dough or make it yourself. I went the make it yourself route with a little help from my breadmaker.  (My pizza crust recipe is at the bottom.)  Not sure that a Jiffy crust kind of pizza dough would work well here as the quick dough made from the box tends to be a little too flimsy in my experience.

Take a little ball of the dough and roll it out. The dough will puff up a bit when cooking, so make it as flat as you possibly can. You can make your circle of dough big or small. I like to make them on the small side - better for lunch boxes and small hands.

Next, put a little of whatever you want in the middle of the circle. For pizza rolls, we used a little smear of pizza sauce topped with cheese for the kids and added some sauteed onion and mushroom for the adults. For nacho pockets, I used a smear of fat-free vegetarian refried beans (basically just smushed pinto beans) topped with some shredded cheddar cheese and a dab of salsa.

Apologies for the poor quality of my food pictures! Still, you get the idea...

Fold the dough over, and crimp with a fork to close. I've taken to doubling the seam over and crimping again to keep it from opening while cooking, but those of you that are better bakers than I am probably won't need to do that.


Bake in a preheated 400 F oven for 10-15 min until the rolls are lightly browned. Let cool and enjoy!





And if you need another good pizza dough recipe for your breadmaker, here's one that I've adapted to my own tastes from The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook.  This dough is softer than the dough recipe that I've posted in the past, and I like it better because of that.


Whole Wheat Pizza Dough

1 1/3 cups water
1/4 cup olive oil
1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups white whole wheat flour
1 TBSP sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp gluten
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast

Place all ingredients in your breadmaker according to the manufacturer's instructions.  Program for Pizza Dough and press start.  When the machine beeps at the end of the cycle, immediately remove the dough from the bread machine and place in an oiled bowl.  Let rise for another 30 min.  Use the dough for pizza or pizza rolls.

12 comments:

JessTrev April 26, 2010 at 2:06 PM  

Have you been able to find a bread machine with no teflon? I used to love our bread machine but when I got rid of all our teflon pans I gave it away...and altho I miss it, could not find one without teflon coating. Lemme know if you have one you like! Tx.

Sagan April 27, 2010 at 6:16 AM  

YUM! I love making my own calzones like that. Yours look so professional; mine are usually all wonky and poorly formed, hehe.

Anonymous April 27, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

The only thing whole wheat about your dough is the name. 50% of something isn't the whole thing it's half.

Grains in general are much lower in nutrients than other plants. Refined grains being especially poor.

Casey April 27, 2010 at 3:03 PM  

Anonymous- 50% whole wheat is 50% more than many people use. Also, "Half Whole Wheat Dough" is sort of a cumbersome name. While it might be more accurate, I think people will realize that they can make it however they want when they do it in their own kitchens. Did you have a suggestion for another dough that you have used in the past and found tasty?

Whether you intended it or not, your post comes off sounding curt and rude. If you have an alternative, I'd love to see it, otherwise it just looks like you're trying to make trouble.

cathy April 27, 2010 at 3:08 PM  

JessTrev - My bread machine pan is coated with teflon too. I would guess that they almost all are. :-( Maybe go the mixer route? I've heard from a lot of people who like using their Kitchenaide mixer to do the grunt work of breadmaking and then finishing off in a regular loaf pan.

Anonymous - You are of course right. Perhaps I should call it "half whole wheat" bread. So sorry to have bruised your sensibilities. You can, of course, knock it up to 100% whole wheat, but I don't think that the final product will be as nice. Me - I like it the way it is and am not feeling all that bad about the title either.

Anonymous April 27, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

I apologize for being curt. Food marketing companies have used this language device to deceive people for so many years, it's difficult not to respond.

The half/part whole wheat trick has been amazingly effective at muddying the waters of food labeling. It makes it exceedingly difficult to find bread that's actually whole wheat. Even in health food stores the selection of actual whole wheat breads are exceedingly low.

When we internalize and reuse their language, we empower the half truths and misdirection.

cathy April 28, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

Anonymous - Thanks for the response. I really can see your point. I use whole wheat flour in my cooking a lot (you can find a great 100% whole wheat bread recipe in a recent post), but I do find that refined flour has a place too.

Anyway, I do get your point, and I appreciate that you took the time to explain in a more thorough and less curt way. I will be more careful with my terminology in the future!

all about health May 3, 2010 at 9:02 AM  

that's a great recipe, thanks for sharing it

Anonymous May 5, 2010 at 11:48 AM  

I like your blog because it has good info and is encouraging, but you don't come off as a strident health food nut. I can't read anyone with an attitude for very long. Keep up the good work!

xl pharmacy November 21, 2011 at 9:51 AM  

When football season is on, for my Mondays are for nachos. Some chicken chili nachos.

Unknown August 22, 2012 at 11:27 PM  

Those home made pizza looks really great and yummy. Thanks for sharing healthy food recipes with us.

Unknown September 10, 2012 at 10:20 PM  

Wow! This looks very delicious.It is really savoring.
healthy recipes for weight loss

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP