Meatless Monday - a day to celebrate others

>> Sunday, August 30, 2009

I'm taking the easy way out today. The start of school for both of my kids (a first!) is this week on top of birthday preparations and festivities as my little boy turns 6. Busy, special times! So, today I want to share a few recipes from other blogs that I haven't tried yet but plan to. I've three recipes for you that look fantastic and are meatless to boot!

Before I get to the great recipe links I've found, a big thank you to the people at Meatless Monday for featuring my Greek Wheat Berry Salad this week. I'm thrilled to be able to participate with the Meatless Monday movement in this way, and thrilled that the editors there liked my recipe enough to put it front and center!

And, now the links. First up, a fantastic looking Whole Wheat Sour Cream Coffee Cake from Zesty Cook (actually a guest post from Simply Savor). This looks like a great coffee cake for breakfast. Love that it isn't loaded with sugar and that it uses whole wheat flour. I think that I might try adding in a little wheat germ for a little more protein and goodness.

Next, a very unique and delicious looking potato salad from Vegan Visitor - Creamy Potato Salad with Avocado. Never would have thought to substitute avocado for mayo, but I think it's a wonderful idea. The only downfall to this potato salad that I can see is that leftovers might not be that appealing with so much avocado present - so better eat it all! I think most everything is better with a little onion, so I'm sure that I'll add some when I make this along with some cilantro.

Last, dessert! I would have killed for a vegan brownie recipe a couple of years ago when I was on a strict dairy, wheat, and egg free diet for my little girl. This one looks really good - vegan or not. And if you're gluten intolerant, this is a perfect recipe to do a one-to-one substitution of the flour of your choice for the whole wheat flour. A recipe like this can handle most any flour. Vegan or not, check out this recipe for Vegan Dark Chocolate Brownies with Sea Salt from Simply Savor.

2 comments:

fatfighter August 31, 2009 at 7:49 AM  

Good luck with your busy week! And thanks for posting the links.

Sagan August 31, 2009 at 6:26 PM  

The idea for potato salad is brilliant! I really want to make that coffee cake now...

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP