Meatless Monday - breakfast

>> Sunday, June 14, 2009

I have to admit something...I don't like breakfast. I never have. I'm not a morning person, and I just don't like preparing food in the morning unless it's super easy. I also don't like cereal, which takes away a lot of easy breakfast options. I used to skip breakfast quite often, but I now try to eat at least a little breakfast in the morning.

Going meatless in the morning isn't hard for me. I do enjoy having a little sausage or ham in the morning on occasion - if someone else makes it - but I also find that I prefer a lighter breakfast these days. So, here are a couple of my current favorite breakfasts - fast, easy, light, and delicious!

First, yogurt with fruit and granola. So easy! Chop up whatever fresh fruit you happen to have on hand and top with yogurt. I like to use either vanilla yogurt or 2% Greek yogurt with a little honey. Top with some granola - homemade or store bought - and mix. Delicious!

My breakfast this morning. Not much to look at, but SO good!

Next, a breakfast that is even easier and just as tasty. Quarter a banana and top with a smear of peanut butter, a tablespoon or so of raisins, and a dusting of cinnamon. Voila! Fast and tasty!


A great thing about these breakfasts (outside of them being easy, fast, and tongue-tempting) is that they have a nice combo of sweetness, fiber, and protein. The sweetness makes my tongue happy, and the fiber and protein keep me going all morning.

If you shun breakfast as I do, give these a try. It might make you change your mind about the most important meal of the day!

6 comments:

Sagan June 15, 2009 at 10:47 AM  

You don't like breakfast? Um... I don't think we can be friends anymore.

:D kidding. I LOVE breakfast, though, it's the best meal of the day! Hence why I tend to have breakfast for dinner so often... my favorite breakfasts are a banana with almond butter, or a poached egg on toast. I'm also partial to pancakes, oatmeal, or yogurt with fresh fruit. There's so many options!

And I like the idea of adding raisins and cinnamon to the banana/PB combo.

laura June 15, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

Mmmm...I LOVE breakfast. These sound delicious!

Lori June 16, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

I can go both ways with breakfast. I tend to enjoy cooking more on the weekends. I admit though most of the time I have to force myself to make it. I can easily start working and sail through the morning hours with nothing but coffee.

Now about that Greek yogurt. So jealous. I've only been back in Brazil a week and I'm missing it so much! Couldn't pack that in my suitcase. :(

Amy June 16, 2009 at 10:44 AM  

I love breakfast! Its the first thing I think about when I wake up. Your bananas look great.

Hanlie June 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

I also want my breakfasts to be simple, both for digestion and preparation, which is why I have green smoothies for breakfast 90% of the time. But I'm definitely going to the the banana & raisin thing, only with tahini instead of peanut butter. It looks delicious!

fatfighter June 17, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

I am so not a morning person, either! Bleh.

I am a light breakfast eater, too - I usually have Kashi cereal, sometimes a VitaTop muffin, or yogurt with nuts or granola.

I love bananas w/PB! YUM!

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP