Snack time! Fruit salad

>> Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Fruits and vegetables are such an important part of our diet, but I think that sometimes its easier to grab some crackers or a granola bar and forget that sometimes simple is best - at least I know that I'm guilty of that too often. Granola bars and crackers are certainly fine snacks in moderation, but you just can't go wrong with fruits and vegetables - that is, if you can get your child to eat them.

To combat the bready snacks, which have an especially strong pull on my son, we've set a rule that afternoon snack time is for fruits and vegetables. Usually I serve fruit or vegetables straight up at snack time, but when there's an abundance of ripe, fresh fruit available at the grocery store, it's nice to make a fruit salad. A fruit salad is a great way to introduce picky eaters to different fruits. (In theory, at least. I can't say that it's really worked that way around here.) Just grab whatever looks good at the time - mango, banana, strawberries, grapes, and kiwi went into my last fruit salad - chop and mix together. If you've got a picky eater, maybe try adding in a small amount of a new fruit into the mix.

My family's twist on fruit salad (I'm blatantly stealing this idea from my mother, who made the most delicious fruit salad this way on our last visit) is to add a little POM pomegranate juice to the cut up fruit. It adds a pleasant twang and unifies the different flavors a bit. You could use any fruit juice, I suppose, but I thought that the POM was a nice, light flavor that didn't compete too much with the other fruit flavors.

You could take it a little further and add some yogurt or even (gasp!) whipped cream to transform it into a dessert. Another trick of my mom's is to substitute some melon liquor for the POM for a more sophisticated adult fruit salad. I haven't tried that yet, but it does sound awfully good!


Jaime Matthews April 28, 2009 at 1:55 PM  

I am great at making sure my kids eat tons of fruit but not so good at eating it myself. Having fruit salad on hand is a great way to lure me in. Sometimes I mix a little pineapple juice (again, any juice would probably work) with a packet of vanilla pudding mix and stir that in with the fruit.

MammaDucky April 28, 2009 at 2:03 PM  

Yum! I was just daydreaming about a fruit salad (is that odd?). I like the idea of adding the POM.
My son is a fruit and veggie hound. My girls, on the other hand, not so much.

Kara April 29, 2009 at 5:42 AM  

I like the idea of making afternoon snack fruit/veg only - I'm guilty of reaching for the bready/carby snacks for my daughter way too often. She loves fruit and vegetables, but I'm often too lazy to want to clean them up and cut them! (blush!)

Sagan April 29, 2009 at 6:27 AM  

Mmm I adore fruit salad. Pomegranate seeds taste great in them! But I prefer mine with just straight fruit; no yogurt or juice etc. That's just me :)

laura April 29, 2009 at 8:06 AM  

The fruit/veg in the afternoon rule would be a good one for me to implement as a carb-loving adult :) Great idea.

Lori May 1, 2009 at 11:11 AM  

Love the addition of the POM juice. I'm sure that made it nice and tart which I like. Here I like to put passion fruit pulp in a fruit salad b/c it makes it really tangy. Thank you, you made me hungry for some fruit. :)

Jenna May 5, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

i like to add a little juice to a fruit salad too, it keeps it from turning brown so quickly. i do think your picky fruit eaters will eventually pick up on the new fruit introduced. it doesn't have to be their favorite, but taking a bite or two of the new fruit won't hurt. i think it's funny to watch young kids eat mixed up food. they usually pick out the pieces they want the most first.

i also serve fruit salad or veggie plate on the rare occasions i serve something quick/processed for lunch/dinner, like pizza.

Nurse Triage May 20, 2009 at 11:49 AM  

Love fruit salads and specially when there is a availability of many fruits in some seasons.This one looks great with kiwi and it should be sweet and sourish.

Medical Billing Software May 31, 2009 at 10:06 AM  

There are juices in the fruits which also help the fluid balance in our body and the best part is that we don't have to get frustrated cooking a dish.

Buy Propecia Online July 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM  

Fruits are so good to the body...fiber and fluid at a go...both help the body keep healthy and look juicy.Only watch out for sugary foods...

  © Blogger templates Sunset by 2008

Back to TOP