One of my favorite brands

>> Monday, December 1, 2008

Since we started this HFCS-free adventure, I find that even while I'm preparing more snacks and foods from scratch rather than turning to a box, I still like a certain amount of processed foods. Some foods just taste better out of a box than I could do from scratch - like crackers. And sometimes the convenience of a processed food just outshines homemade. And, let's not forget, kids like to match their friends, and sometimes that means finding a suitable processed substitute so that they won't feel left out.

There are a few brands that I find just don't fail me. Those brands, in addition to not having any HFCS, have ingredients that don't give me the heebie-jeebies. One of those brands is Wild Harvest Organics. Wild Harvest has a great selection of products - crackers (including a rosemary and sesame saltine that is so delish!), cookies, produce, meat, cereal, bread, and more. I haven't tried all that they have to offer yet. So far, we've tried a variety of their crackers and cookies, some chips, cereal, and their natural peanut butter. We haven't been disappointed with any of their offerings yet.


Best of all? The price is reasonable! Compared to most organic food lines, the price of Wild Harvest Organic products is comparable to non-organic lines. I'm not sure how they manage to be so inexpensive. Is it because Wild Harvest Organic is the store organic brand of a large grocery store chain? Or are the other organic brands over priced because they know that lots of people are willing to pay a premium for good ingredients and the organic label? I suspect that it's a bit of both.So, where can you buy their products? Wild Harvest Organics is sold through SuperValu, Inc. grocery stores. That grocery store conglomerate includes Albertsons, Biggs, Jewel-Osco, Farm Fresh, Acme, Hornbacher's, Cub, Shaw's Star Market, Shop 'n Save, and Shoppers. Sadly, because it is a store brand, you won't find it at any non-SuperValu grocery stores. But, if SuperValu sees the value in having its own organics line that is inexpensive, perhaps other grocery store chains will follow their lead!

17 comments:

Anonymous December 1, 2008 at 8:40 AM  

I love wild harvest crackers (and their price). Unfortunately, they aren't at the grocery store I normally shop at (i.e. the one right across the street) so I have to make a special trip--but then I always stock up.

Anonymous December 1, 2008 at 9:41 AM  

Thanks for the tip.
I'll ask for them

Anonymous December 1, 2008 at 11:10 AM  

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna look for this brand.

fatfighter December 1, 2008 at 3:40 PM  

Shoot - we don't have any of those stores here! And I was just getting excited about the rosemary and sesame saltines, too!

Gina December 1, 2008 at 4:34 PM  

I have found that grocery store organic brands are definitely cheaper. Its nice! I like your blog, great idea :)

Lori December 2, 2008 at 7:10 AM  

When it comes to my fake food venture crackers are a hard one. I miss them a lot and do still have them at times.There just isn't anything else to put all those good holiday appetizer spreads on and I get tired of carrots. Ha, ha!

Thanks so much for sharing this brand. We don't have it around where I'm at, but I have family who live near some of those stores. I'll have to stock up when I visit. ;)

My Year Without December 2, 2008 at 8:04 AM  

Unrelated to this post, I just came across an interesting article claiming that Pepsi-Cola Co. is aiming to switch their formulas to include stevia...What do you think about this? http://economy-online.blogspot.com/2008/11/pepsico-pursues-ancient-leaf-as-cola.html

I can't help but wonder if they are going to do to stevia what has been done to sugar cane. Will they refine the heck out of it? I'm curious to know what you think of this article.

Anonymous December 3, 2008 at 2:00 PM  

I love this brand. We buy crackers and cookies,etc. I also like Trader Joe's brand too. I think they are actually a bit cheaper than Wild Harvest, but I'm not dead sure.
I am currently trying to eliminate hydrogenated veg. oil too. That is pretty difficult but I'm slowly finding out how to substitute.

jenna December 4, 2008 at 7:17 PM  

i went thru a phase where i eliminated a lot of snack/packaged food, even for snacks and school lunches, but with preschoolers it's hard to compete with gold fish, fruit snacks and pretzels so i usually try to offer them something "special" (organic, low sugar, whole grain snack) in their school lunches.

Anonymous December 8, 2008 at 5:39 PM  

You are right - going for store brands is the way to go. Make sure to check for the USDA certified organic seal.

We like Earth's Best Organic snacks. We usually buy online and get it delivered straight to home. I have written a couple of reviews on my blog.

http://www.littlestomaks.com/about/

cathy December 10, 2008 at 11:47 AM  

My Year Without - You probably know more about Stevia than I do considering your past year, but I'm on the fence on the sweetener. I'm not sure that enough is known about it yet for it to be safely consumed, and I've read some properties of the sweetener that I find a bit alarming. But, if the soft drink companies are pushing for it, my bet is that the FDA will soon approve it. (My faith in the FDA has been slowly but surely eroded as of late.) Will they refine the snot out of it? Probably. The article that you referenced even suggests that they're working on ways to refine Stevia to more closely match sugar now. Merisant and Cargill seem to already be perfecting their refining technique. I would bet that their final product is fairly different from the original stevia. I'll be watching this - and your take on it - with interest!

(Oh - and sorry it's taken so long to respond! It's been crazy busy around here as of late.)

DZ December 21, 2008 at 9:06 AM  

Hi there, my Dad and I were just talking about this line available at Shaw's, here in Massachusetts. He noticed on a package of chicken breasts a line of copy reading: "some contents may come from China, Mexico and the United States"

Organic chicken from China? Or is it the cellophane/plastic packaging? I don't like to be alarmist, but considering some concerns about foods from China and Mexicao, it gives me pause!

Anyone know anything more about origins of the meat/poultry products?

DZ December 21, 2008 at 11:36 AM  

Further to last comment! Product packaging lists that contents may be from Canada, US or Mexico, NOT China, sorry about that. Still am curious about chicken's origins, however.

Anonymous January 23, 2009 at 6:18 AM  

I have found that grocery store organic brands are definitely cheaper. Its nice! I like your blog, great idea :)

Brett
http://world-onlinex.blogspot.com

Anonymous April 28, 2012 at 2:32 AM  

Love their products. I don't live by a trader joes. But i live by jewels who have their products in every isle! They also have great fresh produce and if u want to spend extra money they have organic produce. To east healthy these days it does cost more..but if u can afford it well worth it. Stein is a excellent substitute for sugar. Wild harvest is very comparable to price and very good! Especially their creamy peanut butter...don't get the cruntchy though..lol..that's one that i found no one likes! Peace stay healthy!

Nimbarkfoods December 18, 2022 at 10:55 PM  

People are eating more organic food since they are aware of its advantages. They are organically cultivated with manure or compost and do not contain any chemical pesticides or fertilizers. Nimbark Organics is the Best organic food brand where every commodity is purchased from farmers engaged in organic farming in the Himalayan foothills.

Nimbarkfoods April 25, 2023 at 4:02 AM  

Delivering satvik products all over India by our team is the primary motivation for the foundationnimbark organic Kashmiri saffron has Strong antioxidants which help you feel better, boost your mood, lessen PMS symptoms, and improve the flavor of your food.

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP