Friday Mish Mash

>> Friday, August 22, 2008

I'm doing something a little different today. I thought that I'd pass along links to a few of the blog posts that I enjoyed this week. Maybe you'll discover something new!

First up, another chewy granola bar recipe at Super Healthy Kids. I haven't tried this one yet, but it looks yummy. At the very least, I'm going to try the little chocolate drizzle she uses on my granola bars.

Fatfighter TV has a good article on Two Angry Moms. My son will be starting kindergarten next year, and the thought of school lunches gives me the heebie-jeebies. These women deserve a standing ovation for bringing much needed attention to this subject!

My Family Doctor tells why mayo in potato salad shouldn't be villainized.

Mark Salinas, MN talks about stretches and shows some good ones. I am pretty clueless when it comes to stretching so am loving this article!

Eating Well Anywhere has a really neat looking recipe for Peach Crisps in a Jar. Can't wait to try it!

And last, Mark Sisson talks about juicing in moderation and why it shouldn't replace whole fruit consumption in his Daily Apple blog.

Relating to my own lovely blog, I want feedback, dear readers! Is there a topic that you would like to see here? I've had a few suggestions (thank you!) and will have posts on some of them in the future. I'd love to hear your ideas - products you want reviewed, foods you're having trouble finding non-HFCS versions of, anything that I can geek-out on and get all scientific with. If you have a suggestion, e-mail me or leave a comment!

Good stuff coming up - new surprising HFCS food of the week, cookbook review, recipes, a discussion about flaxmeal, and more!

13 comments:

Anonymous August 22, 2008 at 9:10 AM  

I am honored to be mentioned along with the other sites!I looked at the other links as well and commented. Nice choices! Have a nice weekend!

Mark Sisson August 22, 2008 at 9:35 AM  

Good collection of posts. And Thanks for the link! Cheers.

Fruity August 22, 2008 at 10:16 AM  

You sure live a very healthy lifestyle from your posting. Keep going.
Fruity

cathy August 22, 2008 at 10:21 AM  

Ha! Fruity, we're trying. We're doing ok with food right now and striving to do better. My big downfall is exercise. I love to exercise once I get in a groove, but right now I am definitely not in an exercise groove - and it shows on my waistline. So, I'm not perfect, but trying to be better!

Thanks for the comment! And I can't wait to see what kind of interesting fruit (or veggie - interesting squash post) you post about next!

Anonymous August 22, 2008 at 10:33 AM  

Thanks for the mention! I have enjoyed discovering all of your blog, but to answer your question: one thing I'm especially interested in non-HFCS versions, whether recipes to make at home or supermarket products.

Anonymous August 22, 2008 at 4:30 PM  

Because you asked :). I just discovered that every cracker in my house and every can of soup has HFCS. I haven't done a grocery store sweep yet, but if you have some good ideas I'd love to hear them.

cathy August 22, 2008 at 4:38 PM  

Thanks for the ideas, Jehnie! Those are good ones to address for sure.

fatfighter August 23, 2008 at 7:15 AM  

Thanks so much for the mention - you're right, those women deserve a standing ovation. They are amazing and have a huge task ahead, but they are already seeing some changes. They would love your site. ;)

Hil August 23, 2008 at 7:22 PM  

The things I want you to review:

Spaghetti Sauces
Ice Cream
Cake Mixes

Rachel August 23, 2008 at 8:33 PM  

Ooh, waiting with bated breath for the flaxseed article. That is one of our major sneak-in ingredients for Michael and McKay.

cathy August 24, 2008 at 7:29 AM  

Hil- interesting suggestions! I'll add them to my list for sure!

Hil August 24, 2008 at 6:58 PM  

Here's another one - breakfast cereal. What a pain.

I wanted to make rice krispie treats and both the wal mart brand and the kellogg's brand have HFCS in them :(

cathy August 25, 2008 at 7:04 AM  

Hil - I have yet to find a substitute for rice krispies. :-( So sad. I bought a brown rice organic crisped rice cereal hoping that it would do, but it was completely different from rice krispies. I suspect that there is a generic brand out there that does not have HFCS (we come closer here, but our generic rice krispies that is HFCS free is fruit flavored), but not here. I'll keep looking,though!

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP