Meatless Monday - Lettuce wraps

>> Monday, July 6, 2009

Sometimes I have a favorite meal that is so mindlessly easy and simple that I wonder if I should even bother posting it. But I find that sometimes I don't think of these simple recipes or meals on my own, so I'm passing them along to you in case anyone else out there needs an a-ha moment.

Today's meal is one of those crazy simple meals - lettuce wraps. The variations are infinite, so have fun modifying to suit your own particular tastes. I find that these make a fabulous light lunch - kind of a hand-held salad. Here is my current favorite lettuce wrap concoction:

  • Place a nice, clean lettuce leaf on a plate. Most any leaf lettuce will do (my picture shows red leaf lettuce), but romaine hearts are especially good.
  • Smear a bit of goat cheese (or yogurt or hummus or salsa or whatever suits your mood) lengthwise down the leaf
  • Top with roasted vegetables - onion and yellow bell pepper in my case
  • Pick up and enjoy!

The yumminess doesn't translate so well in this picture, so just trust me - it's good!

If you've not roasted vegetables before, it couldn't be easier. For my onion and bell pepper, I spread thinly sliced onion and bell pepper in a single layer on a baking sheet. Coat with a little olive oil (you don't need much - just enough to coat), and cook in a preheated oven at 400-425 F for about 20 min. Voila! Roasted vegetables! When I'm on a lettuce wrap kick, I'll roast a ton and keep in the fridge to use throughout the week.

Special thanks to my friend Amy in Fort Collins - the vegetable roasting queen - who first introduced me to lettuce wraps!

6 comments:

janet July 6, 2009 at 6:31 AM  

I love simple ideas,and I love roasted veggies,thanks for sharing this! I enjoy your blog. I rarely use processed foods and am a fanatic about reading the ingredients on the labels of the few I do use.

KellieS. July 6, 2009 at 7:34 AM  

That sounds really good. One of my favorite appetizers at a local chinese restaurant is their lettuce wrap dish. I think I will try it at home! Thanks.

Amy July 6, 2009 at 7:40 AM  

The only veggie I've roasted is broccoli. I'm going to try more tonight.

Sagan July 6, 2009 at 8:40 AM  

I've heard of the idea of lettuce wraps so many times but for some reason I've never had one. That is my task for this week :)

Miz July 7, 2009 at 6:10 AM  

*raises hand*

never roasted a one.

I am, however, ALL IN for meatless mondays so I need to get gutsy and *try.*

Anonymous July 27, 2009 at 8:40 PM  

Yum! We love these at our house. Only we go in an Asian direction with a little rice, homemade peanut sauce, and chicken (which defeats meatless Mondays). When it finally cools down here I will try it with roasted veggies.

-Courtney from the board

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP