Meatless Monday - Delicious sides

>> Monday, July 13, 2009

One of our favorite meatless meals to enjoy has always been just fixing a few different vegetable sides and serving them together as a meal - especially during summer when fresh vegetables are in abundance. A meal like this can be as simple or as complicated as you want.

Today I'm going to share two wonderful side dishes. You can eat these together - paired with another vegetable or a meat - or just use them as a side to another dish. They both are simple-to-make sides, but they do take a bit of time to cook. And both are just as delicious the next day as leftovers!

First up - a delicious green bean dish. I'll call it Green Beans with Shallots and Tomatoes. A couple of notes...if you don't have shallots on hand, you can use onions in a pinch, but it really is better with the texture and garlicky-onion flavor of shallots. Second, I've used canned tomatoes instead of fresh before, and it isn't nearly as good with the canned. Fresh tomatoes melt down to a delicious mess in a way that the canned tomatoes don't. Go for fresh! Last, the recipe calls for a little beef bouillon. I like it better with the bouillon - it adds a nice depth to the flavor - but it isn't really necessary. You can skip the bouillon altogether or perhaps substitute a little beef broth and let it boil away if you'd rather not used processed beef bouillon.


Green Beans with Shallots and Tomatoes
1-2 lbs fresh green beans, stringed
2-4 shallots, minced (I go for 4, but if you are not enamored with shallots, go for 2)
1 large tomato chopped (I often add more)
1/4 tsp beef bouillon granules (or can use Better than Bouillon)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


Steam green beans 5-10 min or until just tender and cooked through. Run cold water over beans to stop cooking and set aside.


Heat 1 TBSP olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and saute 3 minutes or until tender. Add green beans, tomato, and rest of the ingredients. Cook about 10 minutes or until the tomato has cooked down. Enjoy!

Next, roasted potatoes with onions. I especially love this dish when I have itty-bitty new potatoes, but it works well with bigger red potatoes cut into chunks as well. If you'd rather keep this animal product free, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth


Roasted Potatoes with Onions
2 lbs small red new potatoes, unpeeled
2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper

1 large onion, chopped
3/4 cup chicken stock or broth

Preheat oven to 425 F. In a glass 13"x9" pan (or a roasting pan), combine the potatoes, olive oil, salt and pepper. Coat the potatoes evenly with the oil mixture.


Roast the potatoes 20 min. Sprinkle evenly with the onion and chicken stock. Continue roasting, shaking the pan every 10-15 min to keep the potatoes from sticking, until they are brown and tender and the onions are caramelized - about another 45 min. Serve and enjoy!

10 comments:

RickyRae July 13, 2009 at 6:49 AM  

I'm definately going to try out the roasted potatoes recipe...it looks soooo gooood!

I love meatless mondays. I first read about it on your blog and I'm trying to spread the word myself. It sure helps to have such great recipes to choose from! Keep them coming! :)

Hanlie July 13, 2009 at 8:50 AM  

I think I'll try both of these... I'm always looking for ways to serve green beans.

Sagan July 13, 2009 at 8:59 AM  

Excellent, I just bought a bunch of little baby potatoes and was trying to decide how to cook them! Thanks for the idea :)

jenna July 13, 2009 at 5:26 PM  

what a great idea to serve roasted potatoes on meatless monday. so often i go back for seconds of roasted potatoes, and minus the meat i could do that guiltlessly! i'm fixated on fried rice these days, with a sauteed onion and whatever veggies i have on hand, tonight it was a broccoli crown...

Jessica July 13, 2009 at 5:36 PM  

Both of these dishes sound great! I bet you could use vegetable stock in place of the boullion for the green bean dish to make it truly "meatless."

realfoodisbetter.blogspot.com

fatfighter July 14, 2009 at 7:27 AM  

Yum, yum, yum! I need to try both of these! I love veggie meals once in awhile, so these recipes will come in handy. Thanks for sharing!

m July 15, 2009 at 3:01 AM  

its funny, to me, how meatless monday can become a big WHAT SHOULD I EAT? MAKE??? in my head and yet, purely by happenstance, I have many meatless Thursdays and Tuesdays :)

Cindy July 16, 2009 at 1:16 PM  

I just found your blog and am excited to see someone else avoiding HFCS! Thanks for such great information on what they're actually putting in our foods.

Lori July 16, 2009 at 4:22 PM  

Both of those look great! I especially like the potatoes, but should probably focus on the green beans. Ha! I usually get enough starchy veggies in my diet, but I love them.

Amy @ LiveWell July 16, 2009 at 9:05 PM  

I'm glad to have stumbled across your blog! I've been looking for more healthy recipes to add to my list. Thanks!

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP