Hungry for change?

>> Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Hungry for change - that's one of the tag lines for a new movie out called Food, Inc. I was intrigued when I saw the trailer for this movie (watch it below) a few weeks ago and am even more intrigued by it after a recent comment from Arianne Ayers, the Publicity and Marketing Director of Magnolia Pictures. Read on:

... This documentary focuses on the industrial food system in America. One of the characters It features is Barbara Kowalcyk, a mother who lost her son to E. coli after all eating together at a fast food restaurant during a family vacation. Her story, along with the testimony of experts like Michael Pollan (The Omnivore’s Dilemma) and Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation) brings to light the importance of not only know what our children are eating, but where it came from, how safe it is, and how our current industrial food system has hidden the real costs of our food chain from us.

I would urge every concerned parent to see this film. It’s not about fat or thin, it’s about an entire generation of children, born after the year 2000, in which one out of every three will have early onset diabetes. It’s about feeling secure in what your children are eating, and about educating them to make good choices themselves.

The more educated we are as parents/grandparents/aunts and uncles/educators, the better off we are to give our children the knowledge and the ammunition to make better choices and lead healthier lives. ...
I love the statement in bold above (highlighted by me): "It’s about feeling secure in what your children are eating, and about educating them to make good choices themselves." Yes! As much as I want to eat better for myself, it's my kids that drive me to action. This very sentiment is what drives me to learn more about what we're eating (and write this blog) and to make changes in our diet.

Still not intrigued? Watch the trailer (if you're viewing this from Google reader or a subscription service, you may have to click on over to my blog to see the trailer):



Food, Inc. is playing in selected theaters around the country . If you're interested in seeing this movie, you can find out when and if it will be in your area here. And if you're like me and live in an area where it won't be playing in theaters, Food, Inc. will be released to DVD Nov. 11th.

Another movie to watch out for - What's Organic about Organic? I'm interested in this movie as well. I don't expect that this documentary will make it to many big screens, so watch for (and request!) this movie on your local PBS station.

12 comments:

Kara July 9, 2009 at 5:19 AM  

Of all places, I've been seeing ads for this movie on my Stoneyfield Farms yogurt lids! I agree, it's having children that has prompted me to seriously re-evaluate our food choices and to cut some things from our diet. I think my parents bred some pretty good eating habits in me, and I want to do even better by my kids!

Sagan July 9, 2009 at 8:08 AM  

I really want to see this! It hasn't come to my city (yet)... the organic documentary sounds really intriguing too.

July 9, 2009 at 9:54 AM  

Thank you so much for posting about this! It is playing in my city and marvelously tomorrow is a day when my hubby has to work and my son is with his grandma over night. The planets have aligned I can go see it :)

Hallie July 9, 2009 at 7:06 PM  

I just saw the movie tonight after reading your post. A lot of distrurbing items in the movie. It makes you think. I have to process what I am going to do with the information.

Side note: When I clicked on where to see it I found a Little Theater in our city that I didn't know about. It was nice to go to a old school theater.

MizFit July 10, 2009 at 3:11 AM  

I want to see this AND it's here I just need a baby sitter.

OH

Or to leave the husband at home.

Methinks the latter may happen this weekend! :)

cathy July 10, 2009 at 12:03 PM  

Jealous of all of you that have seen it or will be seeing Food Inc soon! And glad the link helped some of you find a theater!

Amy July 10, 2009 at 12:22 PM  

Another movie you would like is The Future of Food! It will make you so MAD!! And make you want to grow all your own food. You can watch the full length film (90 minutes) here. http://www.hulu.com/watch/67878/the-future-of-food

bethany (Dirty Kitchen Secrets) July 11, 2009 at 1:47 AM  

I heard about this from the amateur gourmet. I'm really looking forward to watching it.

RickyRae July 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM  

This looks interesting! I definitely want to see it. It is always sickening to see where the majority of our food comes from. Ewwwww!

RickyRae July 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM  

Just thought you may find this interesting also...

http://redskyrocket.blogspot.com/2009/07/bubble-gum-flavored-apples-arriving.html

My Year Without July 12, 2009 at 5:10 AM  

Hi Cathy!

Food, Inc. really rocked my world. I've been a health nut for years, but there was information that was totally surprising to me. It's been a good one to recommend to others, too, because it's not only an important movie, it's really interesting and engaging.

I'll look into the "What's Organic about Organic". I haven't heard of that yet.

GreedyGirl August 1, 2009 at 8:06 PM  

Wow this looks lie it's going to be a great movie. I'm really interested in seeing.

I'm going to post the trailer on my blog too www.greedygirlsguide.com I think more people should be more a ware of what they eat

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP