Meatless Mondays - Peach pizza

>> Monday, September 14, 2009

I love peaches. I love peaches so much that I bought two boxes of organic Colorado peaches in late August. We've been eating these peaches in everything imaginable as well as putting some away for the winter. Recently we experimented with using these wonderful peaches on a pizza. Weird? Maybe, but it worked! I must admit, the idea was not my own. I saw a description for a peach pizza with a balsamic sauce on the menu of a local restaurant and was intrigued. I didn't get a chance to try the restaurant's peach pizza, but the idea of making one myself stuck in my head. Then I saw this post for a Paprika and Peach Pizza from Bon Appetite and was absolutely sold on the idea of making a peach pizza.

My pizza has a kind of balsamic BBQ sauce base, and I've topped it with some of my favorite pizza toppings - roasted garlic, caramelized onions, and fresh basil. I thought that the sweetness of the peaches really paired well with the balsamic sauce. And, as weird as this pizza may sound, it works flavorwise.

A note on the sauce - this sauce has a strong flavor, and a little goes a long way. The sauce ingredient measurements are as I made it, but it makes a lot - way more than you'll need for this pizza. You could make a quarter of the sauce and have plenty for your pizza. So, feel free to half or quarter the recipe if you would rather not have leftover sauce!


Peach Pizza with Balsamic BBQ Sauce

Sauce:

3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp Dijon mustard
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup tomato paste

Cook for 30 min to thicken and reduce.

Pizza dough:
Use your favorite pizza dough or go here to get my breadmaker pizza dough recipe.

Toppings:
caramelized onions
several cloves of roasted garlic
fresh basil, chopped - to taste
1-2 peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
Asiago cheese, grated

Spread a thin layer of the sauce over the dough. Add the toppings evenly over the pizza. Bake at 425 for 15 min or until crust is done. Enjoy!

While my husband and I liked our peach pizza, the kids won't touch it. They're pizza purists and just want their plain jane cheese pizza. I recently made the pizza sauce from Eating Well Anywhere, and the kids loved it! My son claims it's his favorite sauce ever. My only change was to add a little oregano in to make it taste more pizza saucy. The sauce freezes well.

13 comments:

RickyRae September 14, 2009 at 6:37 AM  

Oddly enough, this sounds delicious! :)

Lori September 14, 2009 at 6:45 PM  

At first I thought it was going to be dessert pizza, but now I see it is a fabulous sweet/salty combo! It sounds great! I love pineapple on my pizza so why not peaches. That sauce sounds great too.

fatfighter September 14, 2009 at 8:47 PM  

Hmmm... not sure I could do the peach thing. Is it kind of like Hawaiian pizza with pineapples?

printable coupon September 15, 2009 at 5:37 AM  

this slice looks yummy!
peaches on pizza sounds great!!
you can get pizza coupon at http://printable-coupons-cmc.blogspot.com/ and buy one get one pizza free.

Super Healthy Kids September 15, 2009 at 5:38 AM  

You are so creative! I know my husband would love that pizza. He claims to like peaches almost as much as...(you know what!)

laura September 15, 2009 at 6:41 AM  

I'm so glad your kids liked the pizza sauce! Peach pizza - what a great idea, am sending this to someone I know who has been working their way through a box of peaches, too.

cathy September 15, 2009 at 7:01 AM  

Laura - it's a great sauce! I'm actually surprised that my kids like it so much because it really has a nice, complex flavor. Missing your posts at your blog, btw!

Sagan September 15, 2009 at 7:20 PM  

Oooh you made your own BBQ sauce, love it! This is very inventive.

Julie D September 16, 2009 at 9:39 AM  

My pallate is not mature, so cooked/baked fruit = questionable, but this looks good still!

The Cellulite Analyst September 16, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

I can see why the idea of peach pizza would stick in your head. I think you've passed this malady along to me. I just might have to learn how to make pizza now, just so I can try it!

The Daily Reviewer September 16, 2009 at 8:18 PM  

Hi!

Congratulations! Your readers have submitted and voted for your blog at The Daily Reviewer. We compiled an exclusive list of the Top 100 nutrition Blogs, and we are glad to let you know that your blog was included! You can see it at http://thedailyreviewer.com/top/nutrition/2

You can claim your Top 100 Blogs Award here

P.S. This is a one-time notice to let you know your blog was included in one of our Top 100 Blog categories. You might get notices if you are listed in two or more categories.

P.P.S. If for some reason you want your blog removed from our list, just send an email to angelina@thedailyreviewer.com with the subject line "REMOVE" and the link to your blog in the body of the message.

Cheers!

Angelina Mizaki
Selection Committee President
The Daily Reviewer
http://thedailyreviewer.com

KatBouska September 20, 2009 at 11:45 PM  

Oops! Just making my rounds for Moxie Mona...looks like she slept in over here. ;) I'll be back soon!

site July 26, 2012 at 2:05 PM  

Gosh, there's a lot of helpful material above!

  © Blogger templates Sunset by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP